Hydrogen is the cleanest source of energy that can power your homes and fuel your cars. It can potentially substitute diesel and petrol or coal and clean up our environment. Hydrogen has been manufactured industrially for the past several decades and transported across thousand of kilometers by pipelines in Europe. The science and technology of Hydrogen is well known but its application to generate power and fuel a car is relatively new. The gasoline internal combustion engines that drive our gasoline cars can be modified to suit Hydrogen fuel. But the physical and chemical properties of Hydrogen gas created a necessity to alter existing gasoline engines for commercialization. But such conversion has been painfully slow for couple of reasons. There is a stiff resistance from gasoline cars to switch over to Hydrogen because they have a well established infrastructure to manufacture gasoline cars and to supply gasoline through well established distribution network. But Hydrogen cars lack both of them. Even if the cars can be modified for Hydrogen, there are no sales or distribution network for the fuel Hydrogen, similar to Gasoline. Even consumers need to be educated that Hydrogen is safe, environmentally friendly and we need not depend on import of oil and so on. It is a blessing in disguise that Hydrogen can be generated by each home, business and industries for their captive use from their tap water. Recently Hydrogen fuelled scooters have been introduced in the market. There are number of advertisements in the media too; that you can fit a Hydrogen generator at your car that will reduce your gasoline bills substantially and also cut your emissions.But these Electrolyzers can generate only water gas and not a pure Hydrogen. Yet such simple devices can help reduce your petrol bills to an extend .If things are so simple why are we still struggling with high crude oil prices and increasing electricity bills? Let us examine this in detail. Water (H2O) can be split into Hydrogen (H2) and Oxygen (O2) by simply passing an electric current through water using a battery. The water disassociate as follows: 2 H2o——— 2 H2+ )2 Stochiometrically, it means 36 lits of water will generate 4 Kgs of Hydrogen and 32 kgs of Oygygen.The current PEM (Proton exchange membrane) Fuel cell car (Honda FCX clarity) can drive 100 miles with just 0.105 kgs of Hydrogen from 5000 psi Hydrogen tank. Similarly 4kgs of hydrogen can generate about 100 kws of electricity using PEM Fuel cell, based on a conservative estimate; but 4Kgs of gasoline can generate only 15 kW electricity. The gasoline engine offers only 100km mileage from 13 kgs (16lits) of gasoline. In other words, 0.105 kgs of Hydrogen at 5000 psi gives the same mileage as 16 lits of Gasoline. This is the amazing power of water, yet to be unleashed! The tap water is suitable to generate Hydrogen by adding a little amount of potash lye to improve the electrical conductivity. An Alkaline water electrolyzer can be attached to the water tank to generate required amount of Hydrogen based on the above calculation. The resulting Hydrogen has to be compressed to a required level. The power consumption to electrolyze water will be about 75-80 kwhrs per Kg of Hydrogen generated at 5000 psi.Therefore 4Kgs of Hydrogen will need a power of 300kwhrs costing about $30 for a total mileage of 3800 miles. You will need a small reverse osmosis unit to be attached to your water tap so that the water is de-ionized so that there is no precipitation in the Electrolyzer or reduction in the efficiency of electrolysis. Recently, Suzuki Bargeman introduced Hydrogen Fuel cell scooter which claims to offer a mileage of 200km from 12 lits Hydrogen (carbon composite material) tank at an higher pressure of 10,000psi.The future of Hydrogen car is very promising and finally the world can hope to get rid of smoke and noise from our roads and cities.
Global Carbon distribution in the atmosphere
- 15,086 hits
- Super critical CO2 power cycle with zero Carbon emission – a possibility.
- Carbon is to return to Carbon
- Parched land and thirsty farmers surrounded by ocean of water
- Which car Hydrogen,Fuel cell or Electric that will win the race?
- Decarbonizing Planet Earth with Carbon
- Production of Caustic soda by desalination of sea water.
- Why climate change is irreversible and Science is helpless?
- How sustainable is our sustainability?
- The science and politics of carbon and climate change
- ‘Petrol from seawater’, a Carbon neutral fuel to mitigate climate change !
Clean Energy technologiesBioethanol Biofuel and Biogas Biogas Biohydrogen Carbon cycle Carbon pollution Carbon recycling Caron sequestration Clean energy clean water coal gasification Cost of Hydrogen diesel engine Electrolysis Electrolyzers Energy bill energy cost energy efficiency Fuelcell Global warming Greenhouse Greenhouse gas Honda FCX Hydrogen Hydrogen energy PEM Fuel cell PEM Fuelcell Renewable hydrogen solar wind
- Super critical CO2 power cycle with zero Carbon emission – a possibility.There is likely to be a dramatic change in energy landscape with introduction of super critical CO2 power cycle. It not only increases the power efficiency, reduces the foot print considerably, utilizes part of CO2 emission internally in the form of super critical fluid and open a new path to eliminate Carbon emission completely (zero […]
- Carbon is to return to CarbonCarbon emission is a matter of great concern to all the countries around the world due to the global warming and climate change. After the Paris talks many countries are genuinely trying to reduce their emissions either by switching over to renewable energy or cutting down their emissions by reducing their Carbon footprint. In their […]
- Parched land and thirsty farmers surrounded by ocean of waterThe climate is changing and the impact of such a change is felt almost in every sphere of life around the world especially in countries like India. ” Erratic monsoon rain patterns have left crops parched, jeopardizing India’s nearly $370 billion agricultural sector and hundreds of millions of jobs. Drought conditions are crippling vast swaths […]
- Which car Hydrogen,Fuel cell or Electric that will win the race?Which car will be likely to win the race, Hydrogen,Fuel cell or Electric? It all depends on how future Electric generation will be.
- Decarbonizing Planet Earth with Carbon“The method adopted in Vedanta to impart the knowledge of Brahman is known as the method of superimposition (adhyaaropa) and subsequent negation (apavaada). In the Bhashya, Bhagavatpada says, “The transmigrating self is indeed Brahman. He who knows the self as Brahman which is beyond fear becomes Brahman. This is the purport of the whole Upanishad […]
- Production of Caustic soda by desalination of sea water.Sodium chloride brine obtained by desalination of seawater serves as the feedstock of Chlor-alkali industries.
- Why climate change is irreversible and Science is helpless?Science is nothing but understanding Nature.If the understanding is incomplete then the consequences may be dire when such false understanding becomes an applied science.
- How sustainable is our sustainability?Sustainability can be defined as the ability to meet present needs without disturbing Nature’s equilibrium by a holistic approach while not compromising the ability of the future generation to continue to meet their needs. Holistic is “Characterized by the belief that the parts of something are intimately interconnected and explicable only by reference to th […]
- The science and politics of carbon and climate changePresident Obama seized his ‘moment of truth’ when he announced his decision to cut carbon emission by 30% by 2030 in USA. His decision may not be popular in USA and in many parts of the world but it is the right decision. He was able to address to some extent ‘ the inconvenient truth’ […]
- ‘Petrol from seawater’, a Carbon neutral fuel to mitigate climate change !Recent news from USA has got the attention of many people around the world. “Scientists with the United States Navy say they have successfully developed a way to convert seawater into jet fuel, calling it a potentially revolutionary advancement. Researchers at the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) developed technology to extract carbon dioxide from seawater wh […]
- Super critical CO2 power cycle with zero Carbon emission – a possibility.